There’s no denying that Oscar winner Regina King slayed the red carpet at the 93rd Academy Awards. From the sequin and crystal embroidery on the hem of her custom duchess satin Louis Vuitton gown; to the Forevermark diamonds gracing her ears, wrists, and fingers; to the crown of her classic bob, King was a vision. We call can’t get Nicolas Ghesquiere to design a garment for us, but we can get King’s hairstyle, which was coiffed by Larry Sims for the event. Let’s get the look …
Sims said in a press release that he was inspired by the attention-grabbing shoulder detail of King’s gown.
"We wanted to go with something sleek, modern, and clean that wouldn’t compete with the structure and craftsmanship or the dress,” said Sims. “We also wanted to show off Regina’s beautiful neckline."
Of course when it came to selecting products to style King’s tresses, Sims opted for Flawless by Gabrielle Union, the hair care brand he co-founded with the Hollywood heavyweight.
Below Sims tells us step-by-step how to recreate Regina King’s Flawless Oscars-worthy bob:
- Sims started off by brushing King's scalp with the Tangle Teezer Scalp Exfoliator & Massager. He says it feels AMAZING!!!
- He then applied a small amount of Flawless By Gabrielle Union Detangling Leave In Conditioner, Shine Enhancing Heat Protectant Spray, and Blow Dry Cream to her damp hair.
- Sims detangled King's hair by using the Tangle Teezer Ultimate Detangler Hair Brush.
- From there, he blew out King's hair to a smooth finish with a middle part.
- After blow drying, he flat-ironed King's hair to a smooth but textured finish.
- Once flat-ironed, he precision cut her hair into a blunt bob to complement the exaggerated shoulders on her Louis Vuitton gown.
- Sims finished off King's look by passing a flat iron through her freshly chopped bob once again.
- Lastly, Sims finished King's hair line with Flawless By Gabrielle Union Edge Control and tucked hair behind her left ear. He then smoothed any fly always with the Flawless By Gabrielle Union Restoring Exotic Oil Treatment.