Before taking to the stage to perform an exhilarating mashup of her hits “Truth Hurts” and “Good as Hell,” Lizzo shut down the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet with an ensemble that was part Jessica Rabbit part Brigitte Bardot and all Lizzo! And boy was it fiery — thanks to her glam team that included celebrity hairstylist Shelby Swain.
Lizzo donned a red strapless and sequined gown emblazoned with the word “SIREN” that was a collaboration between Moschino Creative Director Jeremy Scott and Lizzo’s stylist Marko Monroe. She amped up the glam-factor with red and white feather boa, just like the screen sirens of Old Hollywood.
Speaking of Hollywood, Swain said French actress Brigitte Bardot inspired Lizzo’s beautiful beehive. “We wanted a sultry, glam look for Lizzo tonight,” revealed Swain. “Using legend Brigitte Bardot as inspo, we landed on this cheeky-but-chic retro beehive.”
Here’s how to get the look in Swain’s own words using Dove Hair Care products.
- My first step was shampooing the hair and conditioning with Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo($3.99) and Dove Intensive Repair Conditioner($3.99) to ensure that the hair was balanced and properly moisturized to receive product and be perfectly placed.
- Secondly, I used the Dove Style+Care Smooth & Shine Heat Protection Spray ($4.99) and blew the hair out using a blow dryer and round brush. Heat protectant is so important to use during prep as it preserves the integrity of the hair.
- After I blow dried her hair, I set the hair in curls and let the ends set for 20 minutes.
- Next, I used the Dove Care Between Washes Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo ($5.99) spray to tease the hair for major volume to ensure maximum fullness for the beehive.
- Finally, I used Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro Mist Flexible Hold Hairspray ($4.99) to mold and form the beehive. This was great for keeping the hair soft which helped to really form the beehive. Finally, I finished with the Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro Mist Extra Hold Hairspray($4.99) for long lasting hold and shine!