Although there wasn’t a traditional red carpet for the 27th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards Sunday night, Hollywood’s chic elite still brought the fashion to the prerecorded telecast. Kerry Washington, who was nominated for Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie for her performance in Little Fires Everywhere, made a splash with a look that harkens back to the synchronized swimmers often featured in Old Hollywood films. While we all don’t have her stylist Law Roach’s contact info, we can recreate Washington’s mermaid manicure at home thanks to celebrity nail artist Kim Truong and OPI.
Truong created Washington’s under-the-sea-inspired nail art as a complement to the actor’s custom Etro beaded gown and swim cap, Bulgari jewels, and Loriblu sandals.
On Instagram, Washington captioned a photo of the full ensemble, “Grateful to the #SAGAwards for giving me a reason to get dressed up. You gotta ditch the sweats when you’re surrounded by all the BEAUTY & BRILLIANCE in this category. Sooooooooo honored to be nominated for #LittleFiresEverywhere among you ladies, #MichaelaCoel, @anyataylorjoy, @nicolekidman & #CateBlanchett.”
Truong mimicked the swirls of the dress for some of the nails, created a thin French manicure on others, and tastefully bedazzled the rest.
Get the details on how to recreate Kerry Washington’s mermaid manicure by Kim Truong using OPI nail products below:
1. Start by applying OPI GelColor Stay Strong Base Coat to nails.
2. Next, polish two nails with one coat of OPI GelColor in "Passion."
3. Follow up by painting the remaining nails with a coat of OPI GelColor in "Tile Art to Warm Your Heart."
4. Using a detail liner brush dipped in OPI GelColor in “Tile Art to Warm Your Heart” create a thin French manicure on the pink nails followed by placing a blue crystal to the center base.
5. On the blue accent nails, apply clear crystal beads in the desired pattern.
6. Lastly, seal on all crystals and edges with OPI GelColor Stay Shiny Top Coat.