Experiencing a last-minute wardrobe malfunction in the morning is the quickest way to become late to work and ruin your entire day. Fortunately, experts like celebrity stylists know all the tricks to quickly turn a malfunction into perfection. Zerina Akers, who has styled Ava DuVernay; Beyoncé; Yara Shahidi; Chloe x Halle; and more, has shared her summer styling hacks — including the Dove antiperspirant that will never leave a mark — with us, so you’ll never lose a button, ruin a zipper, or slip in new shoes again.
Celebrity stylist Zerina Akers reaches for Dove Invisible Dry Spray Antiperspirant during a styling event for media. [Image: Dove]
- Keep a button in place with clear nail polish: If a button is loose and you don’t have time to re-sew it into place, take some clear nail polish and dab it on the knot, then hold the button in place for a minute. It acts as glue and will make it more secure until you can get a proper fix!
- Just a spritz of hairspray can prevent growing stocking runs: Prevent a run in your stockings from growing bigger with hairspray. Simply spray the area where the run started and it will hold the fabric together.
- There’s an antiperspirant that actually doesn’t leave marks: Avoid dealing with pesky white marks by using Dove Invisible Dry Spray Antiperspirant ($5.49). It goes on dry and invisible, leaving no white marks on 100 colors.
- File your soles for a non-slip grip: If you have a pair of shoes with slick bottoms, buff the sole with an emery board to prevent you from slipping and to add traction.
- Lose the fuzz with a pass of a razor: When garments start to pill from the wash, you can remove the fuzz with a razor. Simply run the razor lightly over the area and then carefully remove the pieces that collect. Repeat until all the pills are gone!
- Unstick that zipper with Vaseline: When a zipper just won’t budge, you can rub a bit of Vaseline along where it is stuck. The Vaseline will help the zipper slide and wiggle free!