Check out the latest happenings around the music worldâ€¦
- Music legend Prince is getting his well-deserved recognition from the good folks at Billboard by receiving their Icon Award at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards on May 19. Ahead of the annual event, the seven-time Grammy winner covers the industry magazine in all his glory, while discussing his upcoming tour, new music (“Screwdriver“) and ownership. Read an excerpt of the interview here…
- What does Aretha Franklin make of Beyonce‘s alleged inauguration lip-sync? Well… “When I heard the news this evening that she was pre-recorded I really laughed,â€ she said in an interview with ABC News. â€œI thought it was funny because the weather down there was about 46 or 44 degrees and for most singers that is just not good singing weather. When I heard that I just really cracked up. I thought it was really funny, but she did a beautiful job with the pre-record [â€¦] next time Iâ€™ll probably do the same.â€ No comment.
- The boy bands are back. Boyz II Men, New Kids on the Block and 98 Degrees are hitting the road this summer for a trip down ’80s/’90s memory lane. The 28-city tour will make stops in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles and more before wrapping up in Minneapolis, MN on July 13. Get your homemade t-shirts ready!
- Justin Timberlake‘s return to music is already breaking records. According to Billboard, the singer’s newest single “Suit & Tie” featuring Jay-Z is now the song with the highest first-week plays total in the chart’s 20-year history. The well-dressed tune is the lead single from Timberlake’s forthcoming project, The 20/20 Experience— his first album since 2006’s FutureSex/LoveSounds.
- Adele will hit the stage at the 85th annual Academy Awards to perform her Oscar-nominated hit “Skyfall,” featured in the blockbuster James Bond film of the same name. â€œItâ€™s an honour to be nominated and terrifyingly wonderful to be singing in front of people who have captured my imagination over and over again,” the 24-year-old singer said in a statement. “Itâ€™s something Iâ€™ve never experienced and probably only ever will once!â€ The Academy Awards will air live Sunday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m. ET on ABC.
- And finally, TLC singer T-Boz has gifted fans with her new single “Champion.” You like?