Although you may be used to having a big juicy turkey as the star on the table, this year impress your guests by opting for individual Cornish hens.
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons juice from a sour orange
- 5 tablespoons chilies in Adobo
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Cornish hens, split with backbones removed
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except the hens and purée until smooth.
- Rub the mixture on the hens under the skin and inside the cavities, then rub the rest of the mixture on top of the skin.
- Place hens in a large, sealable plastic bag and pour Adobo mixture over them.
- Seal the bag, pressing out extra air, and place it in a bowl or shallow dish.
- Marinate hens, chilled, turning bag once or twice, at least 2 hours and up to 12.
- Arrange hens skin side up in a 13x9x2” baking pan, and pour marinade around them.
- Bake hens on middle rack for 20 to 25 minutes, or until just cooked through.